Registration of Medical Practitioners
Any person wishing to practise medicine, surgery or midwifery in Hong Kong is required to apply for registration with the Medical Council in accordance with the provisions of the Medical Registration Ordinance. There are various types of registration under the General Register, which include:-
- Full Registration (Part I of the General Register)
- Provisional Registration (Part II of the General Register)
- Limited Registration (Part III of the General Register)
- Temporary Registration (Part IV of the General Register)
- Special Registration (Part V of the General Register)
A registered medical practitioner may apply for specialist registration with the Medical Council to have his / her name included in the Specialist Register under a particular specialty.
The lists of persons whose names appear in the General Register and the Specialist Register are published in the website of the Medical Council for reference by members of the public. The lists are also published in the Government Gazette.